Saturday 2 February 2013

Week 1 Distance Ed...the beginning of our 6th year

As I look at my children growing ever so quickly, the times they are ever changing and in 2013 as I we embark on our 6th year in Distance Education I am left wondering how quickly time flies. Over the holidays I have been ever so relaxed about schooling the boys and the outcomes of their efforts.

I myself am not a graduate of this unique and engaging way of learning, this means that at times I feel like I am a square peg in a round hole. But as this year has rolled around, all of sudden, I feel like an old home tutor. I am not "going with the flow...like a dead fish" more like "floating my own boat"!

The job of being Mum and teacher can be so isolating and yet in a moment in can become the most rewarding job of your life.

Teaching your kids is all about priorities. My top priority is my family, and part of that is to ensuring that we remain balanced in our life, school, business, work, sport and play. I would by lying if I told you I get this right too but by god I try.

One thing I have learned is, it pays to be organised....
(this schedule is a new thing, I won't claim the idea but I have an expert...aka Mary Poppins who was able to sort me with this!)


We have designated areas for art and craft...


 I try to be inspiring...


I like to have things at their fingertips....


We indulge in wall graffiti, covering our walls with posters...


I try to be adaptable and flexible, sometimes we get thrown a curve ball...


And they love their reading corner...


Last of all I get them exercising...


and me too, even if it is just half and hour a day...







3 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of you this week Trude, and all the other home-schooling Mums. And knowing that the blog posts would be fewer and further between with kids back in the classroom and different priorities to meet. Wishing you a successful year in the classroom (however you wish to interpret that word).
    And a beautiful photo of you by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one Trude!! Nice to see what you're up to. Was around your country the other day. The lotus was a fantastic source of inspiration for my mothers artwork. Good luck with everything, I take my hat off to all the mummies that do this - I just don't think I have the patience for it. Dropped my eldest off to boarding school last week. It is very very topsy turvy let me tell you. You must not have long now before you send yours off? You are looking as gorgeous as ever! Very brave doing a blog tooooo! I have started one also but can't help but think I have nothing worth writing about!! eeeeeek. Will be watching out for your next blog.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was taught for awhile by distance ed (or primary correspondance & school of the air as it was back then)..I think my younger brothers in the school room may have influenced mum's decision to send us to the small one teacher school 25km away!! Which makes me really appreciate the small school that my own kids go to, the resources and opportunities that gives them. And I don't have to teach, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete