Thursday 27 September 2012

Peninsula Wildlife.....

I love that we have a vast array of animals here.

Every afternoon black cockatoos grace us with their noisy presence, I don't know what is going on as I have never seen so many at one time. Legend has it that for every black cockatoo you see you will get an inch of rain. I counted 50 yesterday afternoon on my run....50 inches!

Maybe it is 50 days until the next rain event...


Grey kangaroos (just a sample of the population); I can't work out whether the little one was serious or just playing or just being generally annoying.




But it was all over quick.


Out the back this big black-headed python gave the boys a heck of a fright while they were riding their bikes,


We watched him gracefully move on,


A butcher bird kept a close on on him hopping along side him until he disappeared into my garden trimmings. I don't get an adrenaline rush from seeing one of these and apparently King Brown snakes are one of their dietry staples. I hope he finds the one we had visit earlier, I was not rushing to find the camera then, my heart pounds when we I see them or the Taipan!

I was just glad to be the first heading home for lunch and not the boys.


Birdlife in the creek


Black swans and their cygnets on the plain, 



and the Capricorn Yellow Chat.



I am not sure of the bird flying, could it be a Jabiru?



one of many bull frogs,


ducks on the lake and


out the front an Old Man Emu!


We have other speices like the blue tongue lizard, the frilly-necked lizard (we named him Fred, he lived in the garden for a good month) and I once had a turtle arrive at the front gate, I think he was lost!

We promptly helped him down to the lake.



2 comments:

  1. Australian wildlife always looks so much more exciting than our rabbits, hare and deer, though I'm more than happy that we don't have black-headed pythons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful backyard you have Trudy. I had meant to comment on your post about the Capricorn Yellow Chat (just call me gunna), about how fortunate you are to have them in your 'custody', and probably how fortunate they are to have you.
    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete