Monday 2 July 2012

End of Financial Year

Another financial year has drawn to a close. In my previous employment I was a part of a team involved in the output of financial statements and tax returns, tax planning, weekly meetings and a lot of office discussion about how we were going to tackle the forging year ahead. Changes to tax law was inevitable and it was our job to be precise in the detail. I was proud of the work I did in those days.

These days my role has changed as it does when you are raising a family, teaching kids, cooking, cleaning, 2IC in the paddock (if I am lucky) and my role as the Office Manager. I revel in the budgeting process; preparing for the new year ahead and analysing the year about to close, comparing actuals with budgetary figures. The trick then is to tie the grass and cattle management in with the numbers (I have not mastered this part of it by any means but love a challenge); numbers are my thing!

The boys recently asked why I became an accountant. 
I explained to the kids that they should do what they are drawn to. I once read that you should "love what you do and be good at it!" I love what I did then and I love what I do now!


1 comment: